Sunday, March 20, 2011

Following his plan for me...

Last year, I had my whole life planned out. I was going to go to graduate school at BYU, get my Phd, and live happily ever after. Then...I discovered I was pregnant and VERY sick. I had to drop-out of school; I was too sick to finish. I was 16 credits away from graduation. I spent SO much time praying. Asking "why would God tell me to go to school and then not let me finish?" Finally I knelt down and, through many tears, I told my Heavenly Father that I was going to let him be in control. I realized that I had planned my whole life without praying, without talking with my Father.

The first time I met with the LDS missionaries, they asked me if I believed Joseph Smith's testimony. I told them that I wasn't sure and they challenged me to pray and ask God if it is true. I thought, "Why have I never thought of just asking God something, anything." At that moment, I decided that I would always go to my Heavenly Father when I was making a decision. How did I forget that?

So anyway, after Brianna was born I prayed and discussed things with Josh and we decided that I was going to graduate. I decided to put my dreams of graduate school aside and just get those last few credits. I also spent a great deal of time in prayer as I registered for classes. I chose to take night classes in Brigham so that I wouldn't have to put Brianna in daycare.

I needed 2 more credits to graduate and I didn't need have anymore required classes. I could have taken aerobics or swing dancing or some other easy class. But for some reason, I was drawn to a class titled adolescent development. I didn't know why the spirit was leading me to thins class but I registered anyway.  

A few weeks ago I turned in this paper (sorry the formatting got kind of messed up and I'm not sure how to fix it) and a few days later received an email from my professor. In the email she asked if (1) she could share it with other students in the class as an example, (2) I would be willing to present this proposal and subsequent research at 2 different conferences, and (3) if I would be interested in getting this published when it's done.

I have just been spending a lot of time thinking about how I gave my life over to God and thing worked out so much better than I could have ever imagined. What if I hadn't decided to take classes in Brigham? What if I hadn't followed the spirit in registering for this class? 

Anyway, I just wanted to share some of the thoughts that have been weighing on my heart these past few days. If you actually read through this whole thing you are probably my husband. I love you honey thanks for always reading the random crap I put on here.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Catie! That is wonderful! I try to let go, and let God as the saying goes. He always knows what is best for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda, I know it will always work out better when I do but somehow...I keep forgetting (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so awesomely exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats really awesome! I am proud of you top so very talented . The lord really does have a plan we just have to rember he is in control. I like reading your blog or keeps unto date with you guys and it makes me laugh with your funny stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. did you know you're amazing? cause you are...

    ReplyDelete