Thursday, May 22, 2014


So today started out like any other day.
Family prayer, scriptures, and Josh went to work. The kids fought over the pink bowl and who got more cereal. Finally I took Ben to school...that was the end of my "normal" day.

I went to Costco and bought a cake and a giant box of Goldfish crackers. As we were leaving the store I handed the lady my receipt. The wind blew the receipt out of my hand and as I chased after it, I slipped and fell and almost dropped the cake.

Next I had to pick up something from my Dr's office. Brianna was asleep when we got there. I carried her in with me. She woke up and started playing with the waiting room toys. Soon I had what I needed and I told her it was time to go. She, of course, proceeded to throw herself on the floor kicking and screaming. I picked her up, and walked out the door trying not to notice everyone in the waiting room watching the "mean Mommy" who doesn't let her cute little girl play.

Then I had to go to a dentist appointment at 11am for a simple root canal. The dentist said it was more
complicated than he had expected and that I would need to see an Endodontist. He called someone and had me scheduled for noon.

I put Brianna back in the car and we drove to the Endodontist office. We got in the office, checked in, and started filling out paperwork when Brianna had to go potty. So I set everything down and took her down the hall to the bathroom. Across from the bathroom was a pediatric dental office and they had LOTS of toys and awesome stuff. Of course, Brianna wanted to go in there. And cue tantrum number 2! Eventually she went to the bathroom, washed her hands, and we returned to the office. I completed the paperwork and sat down to wait. Suddenly Brianna announced that she needed to "go poo poo" and that it was coming out "right now." We walked back to the bathroom. Endured tantrum #3 while walking by the awesome dentist office again.

FINALLY at 1:15pm, a nurse said they were ready for me. She took us back, asked a few questions and said the Dr would be in shortly. At 1:30, the Dr came in, took some Xrays and said it didn't look good and he needed to talk with my dentist. He returned a few minutes later and said that the tooth needed to be removed but that neither he, or my dentist felt comfortable extracting it. So, he referred me to an Oral surgeon.

When I got to the surgeons office, the receptionist told me everyone was going to be at lunch for 30 minutes. So I decided to take Brianna to get some lunch.

After a quick trip to McDonalds and tantrum #4 when we had to leave before Brianna was done
playing, we headed back to the Oral surgery office. As I got in the car, I noticed that my shirt was wet right where I had been holding Brianna. I asked her if she wet her pants and she said she had spilled her Sprite. I decided to believe her story because I prefer a sprite-soaked shirt, and kid, to a urine soaked one.

The receptionist had me sign some papers. She told me it was consent for them to extract tooth 30. I told her it was supposed to be 31. She said it was the number the dentist had given the endodontist who had then given it to the surgeon. At that point, I just didn't care anymore and I signed the stupid paper.

We were taken back into a surgery room. the Dr came in, looked at the tooth and said, "It's not 30, it's 31." I tried really hard to be polite as they had me void one consent form and sign another with the correct tooth number. I know it wasn't their fault that I was having a crappy day and that it wasn't their mistake.

Brianna was sitting quietly watching Care Bears on my phone and I thought, okay we can do this. Then my phone died! Me: swear words!!! Brianna: tantrum #5. Thankfully, the Dr has the same phone charger as me and was able to help her get it plugged in and working again.

As he was removing the tooth, it completely crumbled and had to be removed in multiple pieces. Eventually, he was done. He gave me a prescription for pain meds and said to take them before the numbing wore off because it was going to be very painful.

So, with a mouthful of gauze and blood running down my chin, I drove to Walgreens. The numbing effects had spread to my eye so I had to drive with one hand while the other held my numb eye shut as it was so watery I couldn't see out of it. When I went to get out of the car, I realized Brianna was asleep again. I picked her up and carried her while also carrying my prescription and trying to hold my eye shut. I gave everything to the Pharmacist, he made a comment about Brianna being shy and quiet, and then told me it would be ready in 30 minutes.

Now it was 3:30 and I knew Ben would be walking home from school at 3:45 so I didn't really have 30 minutes but, because my phone was still dead, I couldn't call anyone to pick him up for me. I prayed that it wouldn't actually take 30 minutes.

I sat down to wait and Brianna asked if she could go look at something. I told her to stay where she canquietly.
see me. She, of course, immediately disappeared. I called her name, she didn't answer. So I walked to the Barbie aisle (an educated guess). I picked her up and carried her back to the pharmacy waiting area. Tantrum number 6! The pharmacist made some comment about her not being as quiet as he thought. Someone else asked if she wanted a sucker. Normally I would hesitate to reward bad behavior but between the pain, the blood, and the image of Ben coming home to an empty house and not knowing what to do...She ate the sucker...and sat-still...

Soon my prescription was ready, I think the Pharmacist rushed them through to get the crazy-bleeding-lazy-eyed-swollen-faced-lady with the SCREAMING-KID out of his store ASAP!

I paid, picked Brianna up, and went out to the car. We got home at 4:00 and Ben wasn't here. I prayed some more for him and took my pain meds. Ben came in the door at 4:05. I laid down on the couch and sent Josh a text asking him to come home soon.

Then I started texting people to see if they could work for me tomorrow because (1) I am on pain meds and (2) I can't really talk on the phone with my mouth all swollen. The few people I talked (texted) with said they couldn't do it. So I called the schedule person and prayed she would be able to understand me. Thankfully, I was able to get the message across and she said she would take care of it.

So yeah, I'm going to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment